Old versions of lib/addrinfo.h missing from rsync repo
matt at mattmccutchen.net
Wed Sep 2 00:17:10 MDT 2009
On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 23:09 -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 12:32:45AM -0400, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> > Why were they dropped from the development history? There doesn't
> > appear to be a copyright issue: the file bears a BSD license.
> It used a 3-clause BSD license, which is incompatible with the GPL.
I think you're mistaken. Here is the text of the license (I have
checked that it is the same in all the revisions in question):
* Copyright (C) 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, and 1999 WIDE Project.
* All rights reserved.
* Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
* modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
* are met:
* 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
* documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
* 3. Neither the name of the project nor the names of its contributors
* may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
* without specific prior written permission.
* THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE PROJECT AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
* ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
* IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
* ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE PROJECT OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
* FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
* DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
* OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
* HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
* LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
* OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
* SUCH DAMAGE.
This looks like the Modified BSD License in the GNU license list:
which is stated to be compatible with the GPL.
More information about the rsync