Almost desperate on rsync from macbook to NAS

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sat Oct 31 10:40:08 MDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 17:06 +0100, Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> I'm almost getting exhausted, thus I have to bother you people to get some help.

That's a non sequitur.  Check
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#id382403 .

> I simply want to sync my "iTunes Music" folder from my MacBook over to my NAS.
> The scenario is like this:
>
> source path: "/Users/bonny/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/" (in here there
> are all the subfolders I want to sync over to the NAS);
> destination: "rsync://root@192.168.1.100/musica/iTunes Music/"
>
> What I did is to copy the stuff over "by hand" (tens of GB!!!)... now
> I sometimes add new music to my iTunes Library, therefore I don't want
> to sync all stuff, just add to the NAS what's been added on my MacBook
> and delete on the NAS what has gone from my MacBook.
>
> I tried many many ways, but without any success!!

What is the nature of the failure?  Files ending up in the wrong place,
or rsync not seeing the old files and wanting to retransfer everything,
or not connecting to the rsync daemon at all, or what??

> I tried to play around with trailing slashes, but I got tired while
> not succeeding :-/

Putting a trailing slash on the source should have worked.  (Whether
there is one on the destination shouldn't matter.)

--
Matt