OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) HFS+ File Compression

Tony tonyt57 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 05:43:50 MDT 2009

When rsync 3.0.6 copies files with HFS+ File Compression, the new
extended attribute decmpfs is not preserved, and the UF_COMPRESSED
flag is not set on the destination and the destination file is not
compressed.

I examined the destination file as described in ars technica  (with ls
and xattr from a 10.5 Leopard boot), and the compressed data is moved
from the resource fork to the data fork, and the extended attributes
'@' are removed from the file.

As far as I know, only ditto in 10.6 can handle HFS+ File
Compression.  (I even tested a 'clone' with disk utility (file copy,
not block), and it also failed (block copy, of course works).