retrieve files without local dir compare

Thu Oct 15 07:53:40 MDT 2009

I agree with the ideas below and like to add the following:

Under Linux/Unix hard links could be used to "copy" the files on the
receiving side. This works around the deleting problem and is way more
efficient to actually copying and deleting the files. I.e.: rsync to folder
'A', then hardlink the folder content recursively to folder 'B' where the
other software is processing and deleting it.

About the other way: --files-from accepts a remote file path if it starts
with ':', see the rsync manual for more details.

Best,
Martin