Problem with symlinks

Thomas Ebert thoebert at gmx.net
Sun Oct 11 05:07:53 MDT 2009

Hi,

currently I'm trying to extend my existing backup concept but I have
issues due to symlinks.

rsync has problems with symlinks. First some background information:
I regularly back up my / and /home from my desktop PC and my netbook to
my Synology DiskStation (500GB) using rsync 3.0.6 with this script:
http://pastebin.com/m43d4e353 . This works without any error messages.
On the DS are also stored other files from two windows machines.

The DS has a built in backup feature that unfortunately has problem with
hard links so I stripped down my script to directly run rsync 3.0.4 on
the DS:

|# Backup source device/share/directory/etc
BACKUP_SOURCE=/volume1/thomas/

# Backup destination device/directory
BACKUP_TO_DEV=/volumeUSB1/usbshare/thomas_backup/

rsync -q -v -axH --no-inc-recursive --delete --exclude="@eaDir"
$BACKUP_SOURCE $BACKUP_TO_DEV|

This handles the hard links (-H) but now I have problems with symlinks.
When running the script I receive a lot of error messages from this type:
rsync:
open(backup/sammy-root/2009-07-29/usr/share/pixmaps/cxassoc-cxoffice-0-application_x-crossover-exe.png)
failed!!: No such file or directory (2)
rsync: open(backup/sammy-root/2009-07-29/usr/share/qt/mkspecs/default)
failed!!: Is a directory (21)
rsync:
open(backup/sammy-root/2009-07-29/usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/context/stubs/unix/luatools)
failed!!: No such file or directory (2)

Unfortunately the DS doesn't support the -v option so I have no "normal"
output.

When I browse to the backup destination the files a there and it seems
they point correctly to original file.

So, is this something I can ignore or can this be fixed?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas