Problem with permissions

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Nov 27 10:38:13 MST 2009

I'm trying to set up a full server backup using rsync 3.0.6.  I'm using
--fake-super, and SSH keys to access a remote server as a normal user.

My problem is that there is a local directory that has permissions 0111
("d--x--x--x"), and rsync throws an error trying to set the xattr:

rsync: failed to read xattr user.rsync.%stat for "/roach/backup/root/tcb/lib": Permission denied (13)

It appears that rsync knows to create remote files with u+rw, but not
directories.  Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

The full command I'm using is:

rsync --stats -v -axH --inplace --delete --rsync-path="rsync --fake-super" / user at remote:/backup/root/

I have to put --fake-super in the remote command only, because the
system I'm backing up doesn't support extended attributes.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>