rsync of STDIN to a file.

Ryan Lynch ryan.b.lynch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 13:36:39 MST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 12:35, Mark Young <mark_young at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks very much Eliot and Matt. I didn't know about gzip storing the
> original filename, thanks for the tip about the -n. As you say from rsync's
> point of view I'm sure the difference is negligible.
>
> Can you point me at any usage examples with rdiff. I've searched quite a bit
> and apart from the cygwin man page and the "rdiff -?" usage message I'm
> unable to find enough information for me to see how to use it successfully.
> In particular I'm not sure I see how it would be used in my scenario.
> Currently there's no local copy of the backup image file.

One other thing occurred to me that could be an alternative to the
rsync-able gzip patch, but it's really only useful on Linux:
Transparent filesystem encryption. I don't know if you're familiar
with FUSE, but there are a ton of wacky plugins with interesting
back-end effects. (I'm a big fan of the FUSE Subversion repository
plugin, myself.)

I found three different implementations:

 * http://fuse.gunzip.silverice.org/
 * http://miio.net/wordpress/projects/fusecompress/
 * http://www.biggerbytes.be/

I don't have any direct experience with any of them, so I can't speak
to features, stability, etc., but there are some very cool ideas at
work, there. Whether you end up going this way, or not, I'd appreciate
hearing about what you tried and what experiences you had.

-Ryan