Translating user names during transfer.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Nov 11 10:38:24 MST 2009

Is there a way to translate file ownership during transfer. For example, can it
be done such that all files owned by user1 end up being owned by user2, and all
files owned by user3 end up being owned by user4. The actual problem we're
trying to solve is that some, but not all, users don't exist on the target
system so we'd like the ownership for users which do exist to remain but to
have a default owner (or, even better, set of owners) for the rest.