does it make sense to run rsync over ftp (curlftpfs)?

Mac User FR macuserfr at free.fr
Tue Nov 10 00:40:09 MST 2009

Hello,

Like on any other mounting system, if you run rsync over a mounted ftp
volume, it won't be able to save you a lot of bandwidth with the delta
algorithm as it's not running on both sides of the link.

In another hand, if bandwidth is not your problem, with this method
rsync should (to be confirmed by an expert, what I am not) still use
incremental updates on your files if your ftp volume support append or
other file modification function that rsync needs.

Running rsync on both ends is the most optimized way to do it. But I
feel like you don't have the choice of the other side setup.

Cheers,

Vitorio