ESTALE error while synching

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu May 28 17:36:03 GMT 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 09:35 +0530, Jignesh Shah wrote:
> Thanks Matt but I think that should not be a correct behavior. The
> rsync
> should retry the ESTALE files rather than giving errors immediately
> and
> deleting the files untimely.

ESTALE means the source file was deleted while rsync was reading it.
(That's what I meant by untimely; rsync itself isn't deleting anything.)
There's no point in retrying a deleted source file.  I suppose rsync
could treat the file as vanished, but that would require a protocol
change to inhibit the receiver from applying the update without causing
the redo or (if already redoing) exit code 23 that sending a bad
checksum normally would.

--
Matt