some files vanished before they could be transferred

Larry Irwin mkitwrk at gmail.com
Thu May 28 14:41:55 GMT 2009

I am using a configuration file on rsync client machines to list the files to exclude for that machine.
When I get a log containing vanished files, I get on that machine, confirm they are temp files (like pirnt spool files, etc.), and add them to the exclude list:
So, I have a file like rsync.exclude that contains something like:

/media/cdrom*/*
/media/floppy*/*
/tmp/*
/u/tmp/*
/v/tmp/*
/var/spool/lpd/*/df*
/var/spool/lpd/*/hf*

And then in the script to kick off the rsync process:

EXCLUDE="--exclude proc/ --exclude sys/"
[ -f ${RSYNCBASE}/cfg/rsync.exclude ] && {
  set -f # Turn off filename globbing
  for i in `cat ${RSYNCBASE}/cfg/rsync.exclude`
  do
    case $i in
    ./*) Tmp=`echo $i | cut -c3-256`;;
    /*) Tmp=`echo $i | cut -c2-256`;;
    *) ;;
    esac
    EXCLUDE="${EXCLUDE} --exclude ${Tmp}"
  done
  set +f # Turn filename globbing back on
}

Then I use ${EXCLUDE} in the rsync command...

Enjoy!
Larry