How to emulate rdiff behaviour

Frank Harmann frank_harmann2000 at yahoo.de
Wed May 27 21:58:19 GMT 2009

Hi,

i am new to rsync and i want to use rsync to emulate rdiff behaviour (because i can't install rdiff on the system).
What i would like rsync to do is to generate a diff file (like with rsync --write-batch) but WITHOUT changing the destination file.
This would allow me to store daily differential updates on the target (i think hardlinking would not help me much as the file is changing every day) and do a true rsync once a week.
Or is there a better way to store incremental updates on constantly changing files (like VM images). I need to keep disk usage on the target as low as possible.

Thanks,

  Frank