--fuzzy question

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Mon May 25 20:16:15 GMT 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Julian Pace Ross <linux at prisma.com.mt> wrote:

> However your explanation made me realise why one 10GB uncompressed
> database.bak file (MSSQL) was not yielding any block matches at all... I
> contacted the admin for this db and surprise surprise, he insists on
> reindexing everyday... so that must be what was making me scratch my head on
> that one.. I'll try play around with the block sizes for that but I'm not
> sure if I'll manage to make it any better...

If he's rebuilding every index every night, then every page in the
MSSQL database will change. Even if the actual data stayed totally
static, rebuilding indexes causes the "dirty" time stamps to be set on
each database page (which is done with every write to enable
differential backups). So I believe every DB page will always change
when indexes are rebuilt, and you will get no rsync block matches.
Perhaps some BLOB pages that are unindexed might remain unmodified, if
your DB contains such data.

--
RPM