Does rsync detect file corruption?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sun May 24 21:53:27 GMT 2009

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 06:32:40PM +0200, Christian Hecht wrote:
> Such a tool i plan to write for Mac OS X. The first time it should
> store checksums and mod times for all files to verify.

There are various patches in the "patches" dir that deal with cached
checksums in different ways:

 - checksum-reading.diff & checksum-updating.diff -- both of these use a
   special file in each dir to store the checksums, with the latter
   putting code into rsync to be able to update the file when copying
   the files (both have a perl script to build/update the files and
   check checksums against the file).

 - checksum-xattr.diff -- this has a script that puts checksums into an
   xattr field which rsync can access when it is using the --checksum
   option.  The very latest version of this patch (in git) adds a --list
   and --check option to the script.

 - db.diff -- this is the start of some db-accessing code for rsync that
   can be used to store/access/check checksums (supports sqlite and
   mysql at present).  This is the method I like the best, but the code
   is in an early state that needs more work.