rsync read block size

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Sat May 23 22:45:09 GMT 2009

On 23.05.2009 17:32, Ming Zhang wrote:

> >> please have a read
> >> http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/db/ref/transapp/archival.html
> >> see the db page size issue when copy a online db.
> >
> > The meantioned utility to create the copy is NOT rsync, it's hotbackup.
> >
> > After the hotbackup is done, you can do whatever you like with the
> > created copy. In your case you want to transfer it to another computer.
>
> that is what i meant.
>
> i have DB that in hundreds of GBs. copy it out first by db_hotbackup
> take time and space. why not combine db_hotbackup and rsync to do 1
> step work?

I have to fold.

I don't seen any imediate possibility to combine hotbackup & rsync.

On the other hand the quiescent and device/filesystem snapshotting
results in a rsyncable copy. On first glance db_checkpoint appears to
provide the quiescent part by doing checkpoints.

Other than that, if you know how the database is structured you could
write a script/program to syncronize the database content on a higher
level than bit-copying the backing-store.

--

Bis denn