rsync+cygwin 1.5<->1.7 performance

Mac User FR macuserfr at free.fr
Wed May 20 08:09:13 GMT 2009

For me, cygwin 1.7 make rsync usable on Windows. Although hacking with
the UTF-8 dll, cygwin 1.5 limited paths (or file names) to 256
characters. This limitation was too much for me since I use it to
backup user data that can be longer than this. I've read on cygwin
list about performance improvements, but since I could not use 1.5
(without modified dll),  I can't compare. And I think that most of
people that use (or tried) this solution will agree that passing this
256 char limitation worth, by itself, the Champagne :)

I don't use cygwin directly but cwrsync (update 400, based on 1.7 beta
with patches + rsync http://www.itefix.no/i2/node/11649 ). I can say
performances are good. In a client (win xp)/server (freenas) setup
over 100Mb network it takes less than a minute to do a sync of a 6 GB
directory with lots of small files when there is no changes. Of
course, if there are changes, the time depends of the amount of
changes, so it's difficult to report performance. But I'm happy of
this solution.

Regards,

Vitorio