ESTALE error while synching

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Wed May 20 03:02:45 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 15:49 +0530, Jignesh Shah wrote:
> Hi, I am wondering how rsync-3.0.6 react if it encounters ESTALE error
> while synching? If I remember correctly then the rsync-2.6.0 skipping
> that file/dir in case of ESTALE error.

If rsync encounters any kind of error reading a source file, it will
report the error (causing an eventual exit code of 23) and skip the
actual update to the destination file, unless --inplace was specified,
in which case the update has already been done.  A second rsync run will
clean up any mess resulting from untimely deletion of source files.

--
Matt