incremental directory searche in rsync 3.0.6

Jignesh Shah jignesh.shah1980 at gmail.com
Tue May 19 05:28:14 GMT 2009

Hi,

I was in under impression that rsync 3.0.5/3.0.6 creates all the missing
directories in the path but I think I am wrong. Could any one tell me is it
possible to create all missing dirs in path at destination side if not
exists. Currently, I have been getting below errors.

rsync -avz  /tmp/mytest/rsync-test/dir-test/parent-dir/
desthost:/tmp/mytest/rsync-test/dir-test/parent-dir/
sending incremental file list
rsync: mkdir "/tmp/mytest/rsync-test/dir-test/parent-dir/" failed: No such
file or directory (2)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(576) [receiver=3.0.6]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(600)
[sender=3.0.6]
I want rsync to create "/mytest/rsync-test/dir-test/parent-dir/" directory
heirarchy at destination. I also tried with --relative and
--no-implied-dirs/--implied-dirs but no luck.

Jignesh