rsync delete architecture

tammy friedchic at hotmail.com
Mon May 18 09:28:08 GMT 2009

Dear all,

I have 3 load balancing servers. Each user may login to different servers to
upload their data, lets say, a company logo.
That's why i tried to use rsync to synchronize the uploaded logo and some
other necessary modules. This mean, each server can be a source or
destination server to the another 2 servers.

However, problem occurs when user tried to delete the logo. Maybe he access
to server 1, he deletes the logo, however, few minutes later the logo will
appear again because server 2 and server 3 still having the logo, never been
deleted, and sync back to server1.

The manual job i can do is delete the same logo on server 2 and server 3.
But i know this of course not the solution.

I wonder if rsync can check the time of files. I've create a cron job which
run every 2 minutes. How if i only sync files which having last modified
date less than 2.5 minutes? Not sure if rsync has this feature, but it still
couldnt solve the delete problem. The deleted file may not be sync anymore,
but it wont be deleted as well.. or i just delete the file if it doesnt
appear in the destination server and the file creation date is more than 2
minutes?? But is it risky to do so..?

Any comment or suggestion are mostly welcome..