rsync to SAMBA mount or NTFS tutorial?

Tony Abernethy tony at servacorp.com
Thu May 14 18:46:44 GMT 2009

There are three areas of fundamental incompatibility (that I am aware of)

Basic File Permissions: Unix has rwx for owner/group/world, Windows has
Hidden/System/Read-Only/Archive. NTFS has ACLs
(The above is an oversimplification,  and things can be done so it works
well enough for what is necessary, but ...)

Timestamps: Unix has one-second resolution and base is UTC regardless of the
current timezone of whoever is asking
Windows has the computer in the local timezone --- lots of fun when crossing
time zones or even daylight savings time.
(Think of two users, each in different time zones... ;-)

Windows creates/updates the directory entry and then eventually (most of the
time) fills in the actual file contents.
This applies also to windows accessing SAMBA shares. (That's why I backup my
SAMBA servers at 3:33 AM)

Good luck.

  _____