A new FAQ entry suggestion

Gokdeniz Karadag gokdenizk at gmail.com
Thu May 7 13:10:00 GMT 2009

Hi,

I recently had somewhat strange errors, and found that the issue was FreeBSD
and sticky bit _files_.

In linux, setting sticky on both files and directories are supported. On
FreeBSD(and probably all BSDs) setting it on directories are Ok, while "chmod
1600" on a regular file fails with "Inappropriate file type or format" error.

A web search returned a few similar questions with the same error message, so I
suggest that we add something similar to this text to the FAQ page;

If you are getting errors like
<quote>
rsync: failed to set permissions on FILENAME Inappropriate file type or format (79)
</quote>
and if you are on a BSD system, the problem is probably caused by BSDs
supporting sticky bit on directories only, not on files.

Running rsync with "--perms --chmod=o-t" fixes the issue.