Vista Junctions

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu Mar 26 17:24:01 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 08:34 -0700, Eric Worthy wrote:
> I’m trying to use rsync with windows vista.  Vista’s odd form of
> “links” confuses rsync and I get a recursive infinite loop at every
> such junction (until failure when the filename size limit is
> exceeded) .
>
> Could someone please point me to the solution or is there one?  The
> std don’t follow links switch doesn’t seem to work.

According to this message (and unless things have changed since then):

junction points look just like directories to Cygwin programs, so rsync
on Cygwin has no way to detect them and treat them differently.  If you
have a small, fixed set of junctions, you could exclude them with
--exclude to avoid the infinite recursion.

--
Matt