Weird rsync or shell problem?

axel.weber at cbc.de axel.weber at cbc.de
Sat Mar 21 18:23:58 GMT 2009

Hi,
I got an issue using rsync that might not be related to rsync at all. But please let me explain.
I am using  rsync in a script to synchronize two Volumes. So far so good this is an easy task.
I set up a cron job to do it on a regular schedule.

What happens is, there is a difference in the result between running the script straight form the shell or by cron.

If done by cron some signs got converted.
Example:
Running straight on shell rsync copies these kind of files:
SCHNITT/Render Files/*Vorlage Bleskin_990101_NB_n-tv/Vorlage Blesk-FIN-0000000b

Running by cron, rsync exchanges the sign *:
SCHNITT/Render Files/#342#200#242Vorlage Bleskin_990101_NB_n-tv/Vorlage Blesk-FIN-0000000b

I got no clue at all where that comes from. Please help.

--
Axel Weber        (   (+49) 221 456 3918
                                4 (+49) 221 456 3999

CBC Cologne Broadcasting Center GmbH
Email: axel.weber at cbc.de <mailto:axel.weber at rtl.de>
Produktionssysteme