Question about the --backup option;

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Mon Mar 16 15:55:22 GMT 2009

The --backup option in GNU mv, and GNU cp extend the behavior of the
-b option in a significant way, I believe. "--backup" allows
specification of versioned backups, especially numbered backups, e.g.
The old version of file, foo, becomes foo.~N~, where N is a decimal
number. There is no mention of such a feature, that I can find, in
info rsync, or man rsync.  Is this feature available in rsync? If so,
is it available under another name?

Actually, the feature may be available under "-b", in mv and cp.
The man page seems to indicate otherwise, so I've never tested it.
I've just used "--backup=t", and loved it. Now how do I get similar
behavior from rsync?

Thanks for your help.
--
Paul E Condon