Problems while transferring big files

Boniforti Flavio flavio at piramide.ch
Mon Mar 9 16:18:45 GMT 2009

> You are missing rsync's output to stderr.  There should be at
> a minimum "rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream
> (code 12)", and probably a preceding error message that would
> give us an idea of what the problem is.  Adjust your setup so
> you can capture the stderr, or if all else fails, run the
> rsync manually.

Sorry, this should be the piece of information missing:

Read from remote host remotehost.com: Connection timed out

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (236230676 bytes received so far)
[receiver] rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
io.c(600) [receiver=3.0.5]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (488 bytes received so far)
[generator] rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12)
at io.c(600) [generator=3.0.5]

[cut]

> > Well, in *this* specific case the file I was syncing was
> totally new,
> > it therefore didn't already exist on the receivers' side...
>
> OK, then your problem is something other than the compression
> false-match issue we were discussing.

OK, so how could we go on debugging?

Thanks again,
Flavio.