comments with '#' in --files-from

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Mon Mar 9 05:36:26 GMT 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 11:14 +1000, Felipe Alvarez wrote:
> I'm using --files-from=FILE. 'FILE' contains some lines beginning with
> '#' for comments, but rsync thinks they are files. Are comments
> supported in --files-from=FILE?

The documentation doesn't say.  From the code, it looks like comments
(as lines beginning with '#' or ';') are supported but are buggy on
remote runs (probably what you are seeing).

Since a major purpose of --files-from is to specify arbitrary filenames
safely, I think comments should not be supported, at least not when
--from0 is specified.  Wayne?  Once this is decided, I can make any
necessary fixes.

--
Matt