uid/gid settings in rsyncd.conf not respected?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu Mar 5 04:50:39 GMT 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 17:01 -0800, Harry Mangalam wrote:
> In your patch that you graciously provided me to provide supplementary
> groups capability, you didn't say how it was supposed to be
> specified.  I thought it was working the first time I used it, but I
> was mistaken.  I forgot to add the supplementary groups option but
> it's unclear how it's supposed to work.
>  It's an rsyncd.conf parameter but what is the format?

It's a boolean parameter like "use chroot".

> Here's how I tried it:
>
> rsyncd.conf
> ============
> #GLOBAL OPTIONS
> uid = root
> gid = root
> supplementary groups = TRUE # like this?
> [MODULE]
>    uid = someuser
>    gid = somegroup
>
> to allow rsync to use the permissions of 'someuser' to read MODULE?
>
> I'm missing something as the above doesn't work.

That configuration looks fine.  If it doesn't work, you could debug the
daemon and see what happens when the "lp_supplementary_groups" check in
clientserver.c is reached.  But now that Wayne has added a somewhat
better enhancement to the current development version (see
http://rsync.samba.org/download.html ), you might want to just use that
instead of my patch.

--
Matt