difference between --no-implied-dir abd --keep-dirlinks ?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Jun 30 15:39:36 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:33:34AM +0530, Jignesh Shah wrote:
> I have gone through the rsync documentation and also tested same both
> --no-implied-dir and --keep-dirlinks options.  My question is what is the
> difference between these options in below scenario?

Implied directories are those that are above the transfer area but
included as a part of the path due to the use of -R (--relative).  By
default all implied directories get sent with their directory
attributes, and the destination is forced to match that.  If you want
the implied paths to differ, --no-implied-dir will leave them alone.

Using --keep-dirlinks also affects the transfer area, so that you can
put a symlink to a directory anyplace that the sender has a dir.