Possibility to porting Rsync to NT and other platforms

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Jun 11 00:49:22 GMT 2009

Hasanat Kazmi wrote:
> Hello,
> I am looking into possibilities of porting RSync for windows. Does anybody
> have an idea that which libraries and dependencies RSync uses which can not
> be compiled on windows (so thats why we use cygwin)

I have not looked at this in a few years, but the issues is more that
rsync initializes some data structures and then forks off processes.

But it is doable.  I make an experimental proof of concept port where I
converted it to use posix threads instead of forked processes.

With the code base that I worked on, the main thing was identifying
which of the common or static variables are modified by more than one
thread.

The experimental version was working well enough that I could keep a
local copy of the rsync source code in sync on my system with it.

I had set up a system to use editor macros to re-apply my changes to the
lastest source, but had to move on to other things before I completed
the port.

I currently use the experimental port binary several times a week for
keeping my system up to date with blead-perl source.

Good Luck,
-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only