robocopy + rsync problems

Rainer Traut tr.ml at gmx.de
Tue Jun 9 12:51:47 GMT 2009

Hi,

my task was to clone a ntfs partition with around 160k files and size
90GB from one external USB disk to another - max path depth up to 256 chars.

Sys 1) Win Vista SP2 Ger robocopy 0027 (probably MS bug/oversight, since
Vista SP1 ENG they ship 0028)

Sys 2) Centos 5.3 - rsync 3.0.6 - ntfs-3g 2009.4.4

Here are my findings, what makes me nervous though is that rsync seems
to have undeterministic behaviour, too.

Now in order I ran the test:

robocopy /MIR F: G:
- missed 24 Files when looking at summary in explorer
- told me it could not copy one file

rsync -avnO --progress --stats quelle/ ziel/
- dry-run found 20 missing files of the robocopy run

rsync -avO --progress --stats quelle/ ziel/
- copied the 20 said files

rsync -avnO --progress --stats quelle/ ziel/
- dry-run found now 4 missing files!

rsync -avO --progress --stats quelle/ ziel/
- copied the 4 said files

rsync -avnO --progress --stats quelle/ ziel/
- no files found

I am not concerned about robocopy - but rsync.
Is there any reason to miss these files?

Thx
Rainer