WARNING: . . . .failed verification -- update discarded (will try again).

Mac User FR macuserfr at free.fr
Thu Jun 4 08:29:49 GMT 2009

Well, when you backup a running vm disk image 3 cases may happen:

1) From the start of the copy until the end of the copy (or syncing,
doesn't matter) the guest OS did not write anything on disk -> copy
will be OK.
2) The guest OS write something to disk but luckily the copy process
got all modifications (data block + catalog mods) or none of the
modification -> the integrity of the copy will be OK, it may reflet
the past state of the vm instead of the actual one.
3) The copy process get part of the modification by the guest, like
only catalog info but not data blocks or inverse. Here you have no
integrity of the disk image.

And there is another thing: data in RAM and not in disk will not be
saved. I think in a scenario of a database always open in the guest
OS. You will never have a working copy of those files.

You can backup from the guest OS like it was a "normal" computer. A
basic approach that I use at the moment (lack of time to search a more
sophisticated solution) or you can use snapshots as suggested by
henri. I don't know what would exactly a snapshot do. A snapshot by
the virtualization program or by the filesystem? I think if the
snapshot is made by the virtualization program it may be safe for ram
recovering issues, but filesystem snapshot is not. You will still need
to save regularly open files from the guest OS.

I have absolutely no idea about the "will try again" part. Maybe Wayne
or Matt could give you the answer.

Best regards,

Vitorio