remove-source-files checking for open files?

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Wed Jun 3 08:19:31 GMT 2009

hi

We have a box here connected to an antenna receiving rather large
amounts of metheorological data from a satellite. the data is received
and ransferred to another box and removed from the receiving server. I
first thought of using rsync for this, but it seems --remove-source-
files has no way of checking if the file is open or not, so if the
receiving process is still writing to a file, rsync will transfer the
file and unlink() it without bothering if the file has been modified
any further, effectively resulting in a corrupt file. I solved this
with a rather clumsy script doing md5sums for fils at both ends and
checking if I have the exact same file at both sides some time after
transfer. this works, but it's not really optimal.

Does anyone know if rsync could be better on this somehow?

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 97542685 / 98013356
roy at karlsbakk.net
http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
--
I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres
intelligibelt. Det er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å