Local disk rsync

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 03:43:03 GMT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM,  <listserv.traffic at sloop.net> wrote:
>> Only copying changed files is *exactly* what ROBOCOPY is designed for.
>> This is even the default behavior. It uses
>> filename+size+modification_time to determine if two files are the
>> same. ROBOCOPY also has an enromous number of logging options.

> ---
> Can you point me to where this is stated in the docs? (In my reading
> of the docs and related items, robocopy was to be a "better" xcopy.
> And xcopy never was a sync tool. It was a mass-directory/file
> copier.)

There is a long Word document distribtued with robocopy that describes
all the options in detail and has many use cases and examples. Why the
documentation is in .DOC format (rather than .CHM or HTML as with all
other MSFT code) I have no idea.

The 2003 version of ROBOCOPY is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

Vista and Server 2008 include ROBOCOPY, but not the long MS Word file,
just a bare bones manpage-like help.

Finally, a 15-second test of ROBOCOPY could have confirmed for you
that only "different" files are copied using the tool by default.
Self-help is sometimes the best help.
--
RPM