Resuming from partial downloads but keeping complete file

Ante Blaskovic anblasko at globalnet.hr
Mon Jun 1 10:31:24 GMT 2009

Hello,

I have very-large file to transfer 10 GB and I have problems to transfer it
if connection drops often.

When I don't use --partial option, It will compare file with version on
server and transfer difference but what if it only comes to 99% and
connection drops. I will lost that 99% part and will need to start again.

When I use --partial option when transfer is interrupted full version of
file in servers folder is replaced with partial version of file.  This
becomes problem if transfer is interrupted in beginning, I will stuck with
file of for example 1GB or less and next rsync will need to transfer the
other part which is now 9GB because my server version of file is only 1GB
now.

Does anyone knows solution for this ?

It would be good that partial version of file is kept on server and that
transfer is resumed from that point. Server version should not be
overwritten until partial download reaches 100%.

Regards,
Ante