Possibly bug in rsync-3.0.6 when spaces are there in destination path

paresh masani masaniparesh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 05:16:34 MDT 2009

The below command works perfectly and it creates "test file" on destination
host.

rsync -avz /tmp/test\ file destination:/tmp/
sending incremental file list
test file

sent 91 bytes  received 31 bytes  27.11 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00

The below two command doesn't work. The rsync creates "test" file on
destination host in both of below cases.

1. I want to copy "/tmp/test file" to "/tmp/test with spaces" on
destination.

rsync -avz /tmp/test\ file destination:/tmp/test\ with\ spaces
sending incremental file list
test file
sent 91 bytes  received 31 bytes  27.11 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00

2. I want to copy source:/tmp/"test file" to Destination:/tmp/"test with
spaces"/. The "test with spaces" is the existence folder on destination
host.

rsync -avz /tmp/test\ file destination:/tmp/test\ with\ spaces/
sending incremental file list
test file

sent 91 bytes  received 31 bytes  27.11 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00

let me know if I am missing something obvious.

Thanks, Paresh