DeltaCopy puts unwanted TAB character into rsync command

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Sun Jul 26 14:39:44 MDT 2009

Imran Hussain writes Tue Dec 6 19:54:06 GMT 2005

> I have written an rsync wrapper for Windows called DeltaCopy.
> (http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jsp). It is
> written in Borland C++ Builder and source is also available on the
> net. Let me know if someone has any suggestions/comments.

Hello Imran, I have a Windows PC running Vista Family Premium
Edition SP2.  I installed DeltaCopy and set it up to make a test
backup to an openSUSE Linux 11.0 server running rsync 3.0.2.

The test fails because the rsync command created by DeltaCopy is
badly formed: it has an unwanted TAB after the module name.

Executing: rsync.exe  -v -rlt -z --delete
  "/cygdrive/M/Documents de Michel/Documents/Test backup/"
  "michel at clubmicrolag.net::Michel-MD1695	/Test backup/"

@ERROR: Unknown module 'Michel-MD1695	'
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at
/home/lapo/packaging/rsync-3.0.4-1/src/rsync-3.0.4/main.c(1504)
[sender=3.0.4]

The TAB appears to come from the server as part of the server reply
to the query for the list of modules.  Each module name is followed
by a TAB even though there are no comment lines in rsyncd.conf on
the server.

I have run DeltaCopy on Windows XP against the same server without
problems, so DeltaCopy is capable of trimming the TAB at least on
some occasions.

How can I get rid of this TAB?  Any suggestions would be much
appreciated.

Roger