Files with / in their name....

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Thu Jul 23 14:46:17 MDT 2009

On Thu 23 Jul 2009, monkeymoped wrote:

> Hi there - I am trying to do a site to site nightly rsync between two boxes
> using ssh - all of the setup steps work and everything can talk nicely etc.
> However, the users unfortunately have lots of files with / in the filename
> (eg 21/08/08.ppt etc.) - when I try and run rsync on the content of these
> folders rsync understandably moans about the filenames being invalid (ie it
> thinks they are folder seperators rather than filenames) and stops. Is there
> a way I can get rsync to 'blindly' synch these files and ignore the / in the
> filename? I would just say to the clients to rename said files but there are
> a whold bunch of them, ie way too many to do this for. Any help much
> appreciated!

Wierd, last time I used a microsoft system, internally a forward slash /
was equivalent to a backslash \ , i.e. in C you could do:
    fd = open("C:/path/to/file", O_RDONLY);
and it would would just fine, accessing C:\path\to\file ...

Anyway, you might be helped by using transliterate.diff from the patches
tarball.

Paul