Error messages 3.0.6pre1

Warren Oates warren.oates at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 09:44:02 MDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 2:52 AM, Mac User FR<macuserfr at free.fr> wrote:
> This is a malloc (memory allocation) error.
> It shows that a non-aligned pointer (pointer that doesn't start on an
> address multiple of 4 in a 32-bit machine) is being freed. As pointers must
> always be aligned, this indicates an error and the function free() doesn't
> know how to deal with it. But even if it doesn't release the memory at all,
> there are big chances that rsync ends up the execution normally. The only
> issue is a possible memory leak that is normally stopped when rsync exit.
>
> I didn't look nor am aware of the rsync code, but I guess this could be an
> issue of 32-bit pointer on a 64-bit machine.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Vitorio

Hmm. Out of curiosity, I recompiled rsync as a 64-bit application, and
the same error comes up.
Something like this if you're interested (iconv won't work):

# MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.5
# CFLAGS=”-arch x86_64 -g -Os -pipe -no-cpp-precomp”
# CCFLAGS=”-arch x86_64 -g -Os -pipe”
# CXXFLAGS=”-arch x86_64 -g -Os -pipe”
# LDFLAGS=”-arch x86_64 -bind_at_load”
# export CFLAGS CXXFLAGS LDFLAGS CCFLAGS MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET

This is arcane stuff, beyond my abilities or knowledge of programming.
As for Mat Cohen's question about the Xcode version, try:

xcodebuild -version

at your prompt.

--
W. Oates