Server Reboots in Mid-Rsync

Jon Watson jwatson at watsysgroup.com
Mon Jul 20 05:25:08 MDT 2009

Hi,
> I've a server at 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5xen x86_64.  No problems using rsync
> for backup nightly.  Same for another server running 32 bit
> 2.6.18-92.1.13.el5xen.
>
> Checking, I see that 2.6.18-128.2.1.el5 is available.  Have you tried
> upgrading to that?

We just tried it last night and it exhibits the same problem. Reverting
to the previous kernel (before the one we are running now - can't recall
the version off the top of my head) fixes it. There's something amuck
with the newer kernels but it's way above my head to troubleshoot.

> Are you using 32 or 64 bit?  Rsync isn't likely the issue, but perhaps
> volume of net or disk traffic being moved is.  Have you tried limiting
> the bandwidth (either bwlimit or tc) to see if this makes a difference?

I hadn't considered limiting the bandwidth. Thanks - I'll try that.

Jon