Server Reboots in Mid-Rsync

Andrew Gideon c182driver1 at gideon.org
Sun Jul 19 09:10:08 MDT 2009

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:07:15 -0300, Jon Watson wrote:

> We've been using a backup script which uses rsync for months now on a
> Xen server without issue. A few weeks ago we had some work done on the
> server which included upgrading the kernel. We are now running
> 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5xen and now the server reboots every night in the
> middle of the rsync process.

I've a server at 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5xen x86_64.  No problems using rsync
for backup nightly.  Same for another server running 32 bit
2.6.18-92.1.13.el5xen.

Checking, I see that 2.6.18-128.2.1.el5 is available.  Have you tried
upgrading to that?

Are you using 32 or 64 bit?  Rsync isn't likely the issue, but perhaps
volume of net or disk traffic being moved is.  Have you tried limiting
the bandwidth (either bwlimit or tc) to see if this makes a difference?

	- Andrew