Server Reboots in Mid-Rsync

Jon Watson jwatson at watsysgroup.com
Fri Jul 17 06:07:15 MDT 2009

Hi All,

I know this is a long shot, but I thought I would ask.

We've been using a backup script which uses rsync for months now on a
Xen server without issue. A few weeks ago we had some work done on the
server which included upgrading the kernel. We are now running
2.6.18-128.1.10.el5xen and now the server reboots every night in the
middle of the rsync process.

I've added enough debug information to the script to know that the
reboot occurs during the actual rsync and not during the surrounding
archiving and reporting routines.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? I've been poking at this for
a while but am out of ideas now and am looking for any advice on how to
proceed.  Obviously, we're going to try another kernel shortly, but in
the meantime....

Thanks,

Jon