Assistance With "Symlink Has No Referent" Message

Jon Watson jwatson at watsysgroup.com
Tue Jul 14 16:15:07 MDT 2009

Hi,

Carlos Carvalho wrote:
> Jon Watson (jwatson at watsysgroup.com) wrote on 14 July 2009 17:17:
>  >I am using rsync to backup one server to another. I am connecting to the
>  >rsync daemon on the remote server and pulling to the backup server. When
>  >using SSH this error does not occur, but there are reasons why I have to
>  >use rsync directly.
>
>  >The problem I am having is that some of the symlinks on the remote
>  >machine will not copy. I am attempting to copy their referent by using
>  >the -L option, but I always receive the subject error despite the fact
>  >that the referent does actually exist.
>
>  >My rsyncd.conf file has uid = root and gid = nobody for this path.
>
> Even though the daemon runs as root, there may have been a chroot
> before. In other words, the process that is launched by ssh may not
> have the same view of the filesystem that the one coming from the
> rsync daemon.

The /etc/xinetd.d/conf file is the file that determines what user the
daemon runs under (on my system, anyhow). It specifies that the daemon
should run as root.

However, just because the daemon is running as root doesn't mean the
individual copy commands are run as root. It is the uid=root in the
module configuration in the /etc/rsyncd.conf file that specifies what
user the individual copies should be performed as. Thus, my copies are
being performed as root.

> You might be able to do an experiment launching a daemon directly from
> the command line as root listening in another port and see if this
> instance finds the referent.

I've done this test during my mucking around, but didn't mention it. If
I start rsync as root with the --daemon option on the remote server, I
get the same error messages.

Thanks,

Jon