rsync between windows Opensolaris failures

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Jul 8 11:21:55 MDT 2009

Can anyone tell me what is wrong in this picture with error output:
 rsync -nvviirp --inplace harry at harvey:/cygdrive/c/Documents\ And\ Settings ./docs_settings_$(dtf)
opening connection using ssh harvey -l harry rsync --server --sender -vvnpr --inplace . "/cygdrive/c/Documents And Settings"
harry at harvey's password:
protocol version mismatch -- is your shell clean?
(see the rsync man page for an explanation)
rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at compat.c(61)
 [receiver=2.6.9]

A strait ssh to reader at harvey succeeds but has this output (once past
passwd):

[...]
harry at harvey's password:
debug2: we sent a password packet, wait for reply
debug1: Authentication succeeded (password)
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug1: send channel open 0
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug2: callback start
debug1: ssh_session2_setup: id 0
debug1: channel request 0: env
debug2: Sent request for environment variable LANG=en_US.UTF-8
debug1: channel request 0: pty-req
debug2: x11_get_proto: /usr/openwin/bin/xauth  list :0.0 2>/dev/null
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug1: channel request 0: x11-req
debug1: channel request 0: shell
debug1: fd 5 setting TCP_NODELAY
debug2: callback done
debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 2097152
Last login: Wed Jul  8 12:16:27 2009 from zfs.local.lan
/cygdrive/c/users/harry