rsync Windows to opensolaris or linux

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Jul 8 10:59:28 MDT 2009

I know this subject has been covered a fair bit here but I'm getting
confused with the vast array of possible options I've seen in various
cmdlines posted here, and the vast (and sometimes confusing) rsync
manual.

Can someone show me the simplest case to allow rsync to push data from
a windows XP or vista machine onto an opensolaris host using rsync on
cygwin?

What options are commonly required?

is a simple command line like this:

 (NOTE: The --inplace part has to do with the zfs filesytem on
 opensolaris and its snapshot function)

  rsync -avv --inplace /cygdrive/c/ user at opensol:/ZHOSTS/someHost/

I'm guessin the -a might get me introuble trying to make windows ntfs
match a unix permissions setup.  So what is better?

My concern here is when it comes time to restore something I don't hit
some unexpected snag involving permissions on windows.

Also I seem to recall something on windows having to do with ntfs that
can fool rsync into thinking the data is all new and different than
the data on the remote .. so invoking a massive transfer where a
differences only transfer should have occurred.