Rsync with spaces in source or destination path

paresh masani masaniparesh at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 20:59:28 GMT 2009

Hi, I am trying to transfer a file that has spaces in its name. The rsync
gives me below error. Am I doing anything wrong?

#ls -l /tmp/test\ file
-rw-rw-r--   1 xxx  xxx        0 Jul  5 02:23 /tmp//test file

# /usr/local/bin/rsync --archive /u/masanip/ACH/test\\\ file /tmp/mydir/
rsync: link_stat "/tmp/test\ file" failed: No such file or directory (2)

Number of files: 0
Number of files transferred: 0
Total file size: 0 bytes
Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
Literal data: 0 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 9
File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 121
Total bytes received: 12

sent 121 bytes  received 12 bytes  29.56 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors)
(code 23) at main.c(1039) [sender=3.0.6]

Thanks.