Listing Changed Files Without Two Copies?

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Fri Jul 3 22:26:25 GMT 2009

On 03.07.2009 18:06, Jon Watson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am aware that rsync can be run to just list the files that have
> changed between the source and destination. I would like to capitalize
> on that feature to monitor some development that is going on in order to
> get a complete list of files that have been changed on a server.
>
> I realize that I can create an initial rsync of the files to some other
> location and then sometime later run rsync in list only mode against
> that initial repository to find out what files have changed.
>
> I also realize that there are revisioning tools out there but they are
> complete overkill for this particular issue.
>
> What I am curious about is if there is a way to achieve this without
> maintaining two copies of the files. Is there any way to run rsync
> against a fileset where rsync will produce a checksum or something for
> those files and can then later determine what files have changed without
> maintaining a second copy of those files?
>
> I realize rsync is primarily a backup tool (and a great one!) and this
> probably falls outside of its purview.

man md5sum

Initially (With filenames that (may) contain spaces):
find * -type f -printf %p\\0 | xargs -0 md5sum > md5

Without filenames that contain spaces it's a little shorter:
find * -type f | xargs md5sum > md5

Then you have a file with an md5sum of all files

And to later check what files have changed:
md5sum -c md5

That's it.

Bis denn