rsync with --copy-devices patch and device-target with --write-batch doesnt work

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sat Jan 31 06:11:18 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 17:06 +0100, freisei wrote:
> Matt McCutchen schrieb:
> > On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 13:12 +0100, freisei wrote:
> > >Is it possible to tell rsync to treat a device-target lika a file?
> >
> > Not currently.  That's a separate feature from --copy-devices; it would
> > be called --keep-devices, in analogy to --copy-dirlinks and
> > --keep-dirlinks.
> >

> Oh, OK.
>
> i?ve done a look into the source, but my poor c abilities don?t allow to
> do it myself. I think that there is anyone other to do it, i?ve found
> another --keep-devices-post from 2006.

For the benefit of people reading the archives, that post is:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2006-March/015011.html

> But, there would be another solution for me.
>
> If i could create batch-files in "revert-mode" i can change source and
> destination.

Rsync's design is thoroughly one-way.  Making a "reverse" mode work
would be many times more difficult than just implementing
--keep-devices.

> is there a wish-list for rsync to see how many users want to have which
> feature?

Feature requests are welcome in the bug database
( https://bugzilla.samba.org/ ), and we can get an idea of the amount of
interest from "me-too" comments and CCs.

--
Matt