[patch] Replace illegal characters in filenames for FAT (switch)

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Wed Jan 28 05:41:57 GMT 2009

Jonas, please CC rsync at lists.samba.org so that others can help you and
your messages are archived for others' future benefit.

On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 20:00 +0100, Jonas Häggqvist wrote:
> Matt McCutchen wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-01-24 at 23:59 +0100, Jonas Häggqvist wrote:
> >> This patch adds a switch --fat-filenames which replaces all characters
> >> that aren't legal on FAT filesystems with an underscore. This is the first
> >> time I touch the rsync code, so I may not be going about it the right way,
> >> but it seems to be working.
> >
> > Note that this is a special case of the existing transliterate patch:
> >
> > http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/patches/transliterate.diff
>
> Oh dear - I looked at the patches, but must have missed this one. So the
> next question I guess is - is this transliterate patch on its way to
> getting accepted into rsync, or should I not expect to see it in a release
> anytime soon?

As the patch says, it is a quick hack intended for people who need the
feature to apply to their own rsync.  It would need some improvement and
generalization before being added to the main rsync; I don't plan to do
it, but you could if you're interested.

> > If you'd like to be able to pass --fat-filenames, you could make that a
> > popt alias for the appropriate --tr option.
>
> I'm not sure that's a grand idea really, considering the --tr option is
> obviously far more flexible, and users might not agree what it should be
> an alias for (less arguing when it's all hardcoded :)).

I was suggesting that you define the alias for your own machine or user
account.  If --fat-filenames were to be recognized by the main rsync
(which I think is unlikely: it is too specific), I don't see what's
wrong with making it a popt alias.  If that makes it easier for users to
locally override its meaning, I consider that an advantage, not a
disadvantage: users are entitled to configure their own systems as they
wish.

--
Matt