Include/Exclude problems

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Wed Jan 28 01:36:32 GMT 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 17:26 -0500, Mag Gam wrote:
> I was curious about the --link-dest argument.  Will this speed up
> anything? I noticed it has the same default behavior of cp -al
>
> If its faster or more efficient I would be more than happy to implement this.

You can run rsync once with --link-dest instead of running "cp -al" and
then rsync.  This is likely to be faster, and it avoids tweaking the
attributes of files in previous backups through the hard links.  For a
bit more about the latter issue, see the following thread:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2008-May/020836.html

--
Matt