installing rsync-3-0-5 on a Mac

Rob Rye rye at usc.edu
Wed Feb 25 18:00:41 GMT 2009

The following note never went through yesterday for some reason:

You probably know all of this already, but for those not familiar with
    the mysteries of the Unix side of the Mac OS X, allow me to comment
    here:

    Assuming /usr/local/bin is in your $PATH (otherwise you must add it
    first), there are at least two solutions to the path problem, in
which
    rsync 2.6.9 (in /usr/bin) is in front of rsync 3.0.5 (in /usr/
local/bin)

    1: rename /usr/bin/rsync to /usr/bin/rsync269, so that if you should
    ever want to downgrade, you just have to change the name back to /
usr/
    bin/rsync and away you go.

    2: change your $PATH, so that /usr/local/bin comes before /usr/bin.
    Then whatever version of rsync, or anything else, you have in /usr/
    local/bin will be the version of that application that your Mac
sees.
    Personally, I feel more comfortable keeping /usr/bin first in the
path
    and I just always rename the Mac default versions whenever they get
    reinstalled by an OS update, but there is really nothing wrong with
    this solution, and it certainly is more permanent.

    Under Leopard (MacOS X 10.5.x) rsync version 2.6.9 is installed by
    default in /usr/bin. Whenever Apple updates the system and does
    anything that "updates" rsync it will check if rsync 2.6.9 is
present
    as "/usr/bin/rsync". If it does not find it it will "helpfully"
    reinstall it for you. Thus, every time Apple "updates" anything with
    regard to rsync and reinstalls it you have to rename it again, if
you
    use solution 1... which can be a pain in the neck.

    --Rob